I see many clients whose brain function and memory (stored in the brain’s Hippocampus area) begin declining after the age of 45. This can be the result of a number of factors including poor lifestyle and nutrition, history of traumatic head injury, the buildup of toxins and protein clumps or other debris.
The inability to form new brain cells or damage to existing brain cells is also integral to memory loss and brain dysfunction.
Loss of brain function can be devastating both to the patient and their loved ones as they see someone who was highly functional deteriorate within a short period of time.
Preventing loss of cognitive function should begin early. Attempting to treat advanced dementia is difficult at best and usually not treatable. The symptoms of dementia only accelerate with aging and will appear only after significant damage has occurred. As such early prevention is critical is important to long term healthy brain function.
There are a number of causes directly related to degenerative brain disease. These include:
- Brain inflammation
- Poor blood circulation
- Leaky Blood Brain Barrier which is important for brain protection
- Infections especially with Herpes and Epstein Barr Virus (EBV)
- Lack of brain nerve cell growth (neurogenesis)
- Buildup of brain debris and protein clumps
- Gut damage or inflammation which directly affects the brain
- Degeneration of supportive brain cells known as the Glial cells
- Poor energy production of ATP (the energy molecule) in the mitochondria located in the brain
- Brain shrinkage
- Lack of proper building blocks for the brain including Peptides for brain proteins and oils / fats (Omega 3’s, phosphatidyl serine and choline)
- Traumatic Brain injury
The foundational pieces to maintain a healthy brain are brain hydration, reducing brain inflammation and adequate healthy oils/ fats.
As we age we lose our thirst mechanism and the brain becomes dehydrated. Part of my brain recovery program is to consciously drink water while decreasing alcohol that dehydrates the brain while taking a product called Rehydrate to help cells and tissues assimilate more water.
Brain inflammation comes from many sources including traumatic brain injury. A product (or equivalents) called Neuroflam and other anti- inflammatories will dramatically reduce brain inflammation. In addition taking turmeric and ginger daily is very helpful at reducing brain inflammation.
A special product (Neuro Mag) developed by MIT scientists improves brain blood flow and higher levels of Magnesium for healthier brain function.
The following additional products are all important for maintaining optimal brain function to the end of your life:
- Resveratrol- heals both the Blood Brain Barrier and Leaky Gut
- Probiotics- important for the brain but also for a healthy gut which directly affects the brain
- Increasing brain circulation and lymph drainage to nourish the brain and remove toxins- several technologies, products and therapies can achieve this
- Brain Derived Neurotropic Factor (BDNF) is produced by the glial cells in the brain but decreases with aging. BDNF cleanses the brain and should be taken as one ages. A truly amazing product
- Anti-Viral products to kill the viruses Epstein Barr and Herpes- homeopathics and various herbals are effective
- NAC- N-acetyl Cysteine increases glutathione, an antioxidant, in the brain. Removing oxidation products is critical to stop illness and aging of the brain
- Low dose Lithium (300 mcg) reverses long term memory loss, assists removal of damaging amyloid proteins and improves brain mitochondrial energy production as shown by multiple clinical studies
- ATP 360 a product I use personally and for my clients to increase the ATP production in the brain.
Remaining active both physically and mentally is also very critical in maintaining healthy brain function.
It is important to take care of your brain early in life. Aging accelerates brain degeneration if we do not proactively counter it. Prevention is more effective than treatment at a later stage of brain aging. The more of the above treatments and products you employ the more effective you will be in maintaining a healthy brain throughout your life.
Retaining optimal brain function after 50 years is certainly critical to Enjoy the Journey,