Many know of the health and psychotropic benefits of Cannabis otherwise known as marijuana. The health benefits are such that a number of states have made the possession of cannabis legal. This trend will probably continue as more states consider legalization through election balloting. Legalization of cannabis is still a very nebulous issue (for medicinal uses or to make it fully legal) and it appears that ultimately the FDA has control over whether cannabis will become fully legal. The complexity of legalization is evidenced by the fact that professional sports leagues completely ban its use despite its many health benefits.
Understanding the benefits and make up of cannabis is critical especially when deciding whether to use cannabis or its components. Cannabis is made of 2 components.
- 1. THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) is the psychotropic component which produces the high many enjoy
- 2. CBD (cannabidiol) is the non-psychotropic component made of terpenes and flavonoids that is now becoming well known and used for its many health benefits
As mentioned above the use of CBD oil (its use and sale) is legal in most states but is being challenged by the drug companies to the FDA primarily because of its many health benefits which include pain relief will negatively impact their bottom lines.
Health Benefits of CBD oils
It is known that 50,000 to 60,000 deaths occur with opioids each year in the US and many other health problems occur with Pharmaceuticals used for anxiety, poor sleep and seizures to name a few. CBD oils can resolve these in a non-addicting, healthy manner with few to no side effects. Research shows that we have natural receptors (CBD1 and CBD2) in our body that when not bound to CBD or THC will yield the many health concerns mentioned above.
My question is that if mood, anxiety, pain, sleeplessness and so many more issues can be resolved in a non-addicting, healthy fashion why not use less costly CBD in lieu of pharmaceuticals?
The following benefits and uses of CBD have either been shown or reported by reputable publications:
- Seizures mitigated or eliminated-FDA approved treatment
- Pain- many studies and reports including NIH
- Anxiety and sleeplessness/insomnia- Neurotherapeutics (Journal)
- Reduction of cravings and cessation of smoking- Journal of Neurotherapeutics
- PTSD, social anxiety and panic disorders- Journal of Neurotherapeutics
- Treatment of Acne- Journal of Clinical Investigation
- Stops or slows cancer progression- British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
- Schizophrenia and other psychiatric disorders- Current Pharmaceutical Design
- Decrease Pancreatic Inflammation- to possibly assist with treatment of Diabetes Type II; NIH Research
- Increase immunity by decreasing inflammation around the gut where 80% of our immune system is located-NIH Research
- Helps to slow or reverse dementia- NIH Research
- Helps cognition and decreases appetite by binding to CBD1 brain receptors- NIH Research
With all these potential benefits attributable to CBD products it makes sense to become familiar with what they can accomplish. The fact that CBD oils are not addicting and have minimal side effects (there is not proven safety during pregnancy or nursing) is more reason to consider their use when the need arises as compared to pharmaceuticals.
Remember to Enjoy the Journey,
Vital100 Wellness Team